Alder Hey - Accident & Emergency (A & E)
Children's trauma and emergency care centre.
The A&E service is a 24-hour, seven day a week walk-in service.
This means you do not need to book an appointment. A comprehensive emergency service is provided including on-site senior accident and emergency staff, triage, nurse practitioners, trauma team, CT scanning, cardiac arrest team, decontamination facilities and specialist opinion from all major specialties.
Alternatives to Accident and Emergency Services (A&E)
In some circumstances Accident and Emergency (A&E) may not be the most appropriate place to receive treatment. If you become unwell make sure you choose the right healthcare service to receive treatment.
With the right advice and information plus a well stocked medicine cabinet lots of minor ailments can be treated or prevented effectively.
NHS 111 - for non-emergencies
You can call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergency. NHS 111 is a fast and easy way to get the right help, whatever the time.
NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones.
- Council Area
- What areas of the city is this for?
- People from anywhere in the city
- What groups of people is this for?
- Young people
- Social media
- How to get there
- Cars should enter the hospital site from East Prescot Road and use the drop-off facilities near the East Prescot Road entrance, or use the multi-storey car park, which has its own entrance to the hospital. Parking costs £2 per visit – please pay at the machines (cash only) in the atrium before returning to your car. Bus services to Eaton Road: 15, 61, 102, 161, 202, 204. Bus services to East Prescot Road: 8, 9, 10, 10a, 10b, 10c, 15, 161
- Disabled access
- To avoid issues with accessing the multi-storey car park, please use the Eaton Road entrance and park large wheelchair accessible vehicles in the Emergency Department car park.
- How much will it cost me?
- When is this service open?
- The A&E service is a 24-hour, seven day a week walk-in service.
- How can I access this service?
- To access the Emergency Department by car, enter the hospital site from the Eaton Road entrance where there is a short stay car park and drop-off facility.
- 0151 228 4811